Monday, January 28, 2013

How to find a place to volunteer for free



Maybe some of you are interested in volunteering as well. As I had the idea of going to a 3rd world country to do some volunteer work, I first just put "volunteer opportunities" and "works as a volunteer" on Google. But  all the things that came up were really expensive, commercial organisations. You can find everything and everywhere, but mostly you need to pay thousands of euros. Not what I wanted. Why spending money on agencies when I could donate it to organisations who really need it? So I started to put in Google things like: "free volunteering". And really, after a bit of a search, I found hundreds of small NGOs all around the world who where looking for volunteers. Some of them even offered free food and accommodation. (I will post some links at the end of this article).
As I couldn't decide where I wanted to go, not even which continent, I just choose around 15 organisations which sounded really interesting to me and sent them an email. In that email, I told a bit about me, my background, why I want to volunteer and what helpful skills I might have. My expectation regarding answers was highly exceed. I got around 10 replies, all with a similar content: "You sound like the perfect person to volunteer with us, just let us know when you want to start...". Actually, I was surprised and a bit overrun. Now I have to say, that I really have a good background for working as a volunteer: I did volunteer work before, I study Geography, I have a bit of experience in working with children, I speak fluent English and I already have a lot of international experience. But even if you have none of this, it shouldn't be a problem to find a matching organisation. Just show that you are really interested in their organisation and that you are willing to learn.
A good start to look for organisations is this website: www.volunteersouthamerica.net 
Even if you don't want to go to South America, there are a lot of links to other websites on the bottom. Have fun exploring and I hop you will find the perfect organisation :-)

Helpful links for longterm volunteering:

www.missionfinder.org
www.volunteersouthamerica.net
www.volunteerafrica.net
www.omprakash.org

__________________________________________________________________________

Vielleicht ist der ein oder andere hier ja auch daran interessiert als Volunteer zu arbeiten. Am Anfang, als ich die Idee hatte fuer ein paar Monate ins Ausland zu gehen, hab ich mal "Volunteer Moeglichkeiten" gegoogelt. Alle Websiten die angezeigt wurden, waren Homepages von grossen Vermittleragenturen, wo man schnell mal 3000 Euro dafuer bezahlt, dass man 2 Wochen arbeiten "darf". Fuer mich war von Anfang an klar: So etwas mache ich nicht. Warum irgendwelchen Organisationen Geld in den Rachen schmeissen, wenn ich es doch auch direkt an Organisationen geben koennte? Mein naechster versuch war dann: "kostenlose Volunteermoeglichkeiten". Auchdas brachte erst mal nur maessig Erfolg, bis ich es auf Englisch versuchte und dabei auf die Seite "volunteersouthamerica.net" kam. Wenn man sich win bisschen Zeit nimmt, is es unglaublich wie viele Organisationen es rund um die Welt gibt, die Volunteers suchen. Manchmal bieten sie sogar noch kostenlose Unterkunft und Verpflegung an!
Am Anfang hatte ich gar keine Idee wo ich eigentlich hinwill, mal wieder mein typisches Problem: am liebsten ueberall und nicht mal auf einen Kontinent konnte ich mich einigen...also hab ich einfach kreuz und queer Mails an ca. 15 Organisationen geschrieben, die einen vernuenftigen Eindruck auf mich machten.In dieser Email schrieb ich ein bisschen ueber mich, warum ich als Volunteer arbeiten will und welche Faehigkeiten ich habe, die vielleicht hilfreich waeren. Von ungefaehr 10 Organisationen bekam ich Antworten, alle mit etwa dem gleichen Inhalt: "You sound like the perfect person to volunteer with us, just let us know when you want to start..."
Jedenfalls war ich sehr ueberrascht und ein bisschen ueberfordert von dieser positiven Resonanz. Dazu muss man aber auch sagen, dass ich gute Voraussetzungen habe um als Volunteer zu arbeiten: Ich habe bereits etwas Erfahrung in diesem Bereich, studiere Geogrraphie, hab ein bisschen Erfahrung im Umgang mit Kinern, spreche fliessend Englisch und habe schon viel Auslandserfahrung.Aber selbst ohne all diese Pluspunkte sollte es kein Problem sein, dei passende Organisation zu finden. Man muss nur zeigen, dass man bereit ist zu lernen und sich fuer die Idee begeistern kann. Als guter Angan zum suchen eigent sich die oben genannte Website, selbst wenn man nicht nach Suedamerika will. Man findet sehr viele weiterfuehrende Links, auch auf andere Kontinente.
Also dann, viel Spass beim Suchen und Finden :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment